funny menu for you
100g/4oz butter, softened
100g/4oz caster sugar
50g/2oz icing sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
75g/3oz blackberry jam
150g/5oz self-raising flour, sifted
50g/2oz cocoa powder
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
225ml/8fl oz milk
For the chocolate butter cream
50g/2oz dark chocolate (at least
70% cocoa solids), broken into
3 teaspoons double cream
3 teaspoons icing sugar, sifted
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4. Lightly grease a
20cm/8in square cake tin, and line with greaseproof paper.
• Cream the butter and sugars in a small bowl with an electric beater until
light and fluffy. Add the eggs gradually, beating thoroughly after each
addition. Beat in the vanilla and jam. Transfer to a large bowl.
• Sift together the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda. Using a wooden
spoon, fold the flour mixture into the butter alternately with the milk. Stir
until the mixture is just combined and almost smooth.
• Pour into the prepared tin, and smooth the surface. Bake for 45 minutes
until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 15 minutes before turning
onto a wire rack to cool completely.
• To make the butter cream, stir the ingredients in a small pan over a low
heat until smooth and glossy. Spread over the top of the cooled cake
using a flat-bladed knife. Allow to set.
View over 5,000 menus at http://www.menu-for-you.com