4 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
2 tablespoons tamari
1 garlic clove, crushed
450g/1lb firm tofu, cubed
11⁄2 tablespoons arrowroot
• In a small bowl, mix together the peanut butter, tamari and garlic.
Slowly stir in 225ml/8fl oz water. Mix well until the water in
incorporated. Put the tofu in a shallow dish and pour the liquid over it.
• Leave the tofu to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5.
• Remove the tofu cubes from the marinade, and put them on a wellgreased
baking tray. Reserve the marinade to make the sauce.
• Bake the tofu cubes in the oven for 30–45 minutes until the desired
crispness is reached.
• Mix the arrowroot with the remaining marinade. Put the mixture in a
heavy saucepan, and cook over a high heat, stirring constantly, until the
sauce thickens. Put the baked tofu on a bed of rice or pasta. Cover with
the sauce, and serve immediately.