4 tablespoons olive oil
grated zest of 1 lime
2 teaspoons Thai fish sauce
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon grated fresh root ginger
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
700g/11⁄2lb monkfish fillet, cut
2 limes, each cut into 6 wedges
salt and freshly ground black pepper
noodles or rice, to serve
• Soak bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes to prevent burning.
• Mix the olive oil, lime zest, fish sauce, garlic, ginger and basil together.
Season with salt and pepper.
• Wash the monkfish under cold running water, and pat dry with kitchen
paper. Add to the marinade and mix well. Cover and leave to marinate
in the refrigerator for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
• Preheat a charcoal barbecue or grill until hot. Lift the monkfish pieces
from the marinade, and thread them onto the skewers, alternating with
the lime wedges.
• Cook the skewers for 5–6 minutes on the hot barbecue or under the grill,
turning regularly, until the fish is tender.
• Serve with noodles or rice.