225g/8oz dried haricot
beans, soaked overnight,
rinsed and drained
900ml/11⁄2pt vegetable stock
100ml/31⁄2fl oz olive oil
2 large onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
75ml/3fl oz red wine
2 tablespoons tomato purée
225g/8oz dried penne
2 celery sticks, sliced
100g/4oz mushrooms, sliced
225g/8oz tomatoes, sliced
1 teaspoon muscovado sugar
4 tablespoons dried white
salt and freshly ground
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
• Put the haricot beans in a large heavy saucepan, and add enough cold
water to cover. Bring to the boil and continue to boil vigorously for
20 minutes. Drain.
• Put the beans in a large flameproof casserole dish. Add the vegetable
stock, and stir in all but 1 tablespoon of the oil, the onions, garlic, bay
leaves, oregano, wine and tomato purée. Bring to the boil, then cover
and cook in the oven for 2 hours.
• Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil. Add the penne
and the remaining oil, and cook for about 3 minutes. Drain.
• Add the penne, celery, mushrooms and tomatoes to the casserole dish,
and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the muscovado sugar, and
sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top. Cover the dish and cook in the
oven for a further 1 hour. Serve hot.