900g/2lb fresh chestnuts
600ml/1pt vegetable stock
900g/2lb fresh Brussels sprouts
450g/1lb onions, quartered, with
225g/8oz celery, trimmed and cut
into 2.5cm/1in pieces
freshly grated zest of 1 lemon
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Snip the brown outer skins of the chestnuts, and put the chestnuts in
boiling water for 3–5 minutes. Lift out a few at a time, then peel off both
the brown and inner skins.
• Put the chestnuts in a saucepan, cover with the stock and simmer for
40–45 minutes until tender. Drain well.
• Meanwhile, trim the sprouts and, with a sharp knife, make a cross in the
stalk end of each one.
• Cook the sprouts in boiling salted water for 3–4 minutes only; drain well.
• Melt the butter in a large heavy frying pan. Add the onions, celery and
lemon zest, and sauté for 2–3 minutes until softened. Add the cooked
chestnuts and sprouts, and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for a
further 1–2 minutes, and serve immediately.