100g/4oz frozen spinach, thawed
100g/4oz ricotta cheese
pinch of grated nutmeg
4 skinless chicken breast fillets,
about 175g/6oz each
4 Parma ham slices
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 small shallots
100g/4oz button mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon plain flour
150ml/5fl oz dry white wine
300ml/10fl oz chicken stock
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
• Put the spinach in a sieve, and press out the water with a spoon. Mix
with the ricotta and nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper.
• Using a sharp knife, slit each chicken breast through the side and
enlarge each cut to form a pocket. Fill with the spinach mixture, then
reshape the chicken breasts. Wrap each breast tightly in a slice of ham,
and secure with cocktail sticks. Cover and chill in the refrigerator.
• Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan, and brown the chicken breasts
for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a large shallow
ovenproof dish, and keep warm until required.
• Sauté the shallots and mushrooms for 2–3 minutes until lightly browned.
Stir in the flour, then gradually add the wine and stock. Bring to the boil,
stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper, and spoon the mixture
around the chicken.
• Cook the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken over
and cook for a further 10 minutes. Remove the cocktail sticks, and serve
the chicken with the sauce.