1 onion, quartered
1 carrot, quartered
8 black peppercorns, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
For the sauce
1 small onion, chopped
1 tablespoon curry paste
1 tablespoon tomato purée
125ml/4fl oz red wine
1 bay leaf
juice of 1⁄2 lemon
2–3 teaspoons apricot jam
300ml/10fl oz mayonnaise
125ml/4fl oz double or whipping
salt and freshly ground
watercress, to garnish
• Put the lemon in the cavity of the chicken, then put the chicken in a
saucepan that it just fits. Add the onion, carrot, peppercorns and salt to
• Add sufficient water to come two-thirds of the way up the chicken, bring
to the boil, then cover and cook gently for about 11⁄2 hours until the
chicken juices run clear.
• Transfer the chicken to a large bowl, pour the cooking liquid over it and
leave to cool. When cold, strip the meat from the chicken, discarding the
skin and bones, then chop or tear the meat into bite-size pieces.
• To make the sauce, take a frying pan and sweat the onion in the butter
until soft. Add the curry paste, tomato purée, wine, bay leaf and lemon
juice, then cook for 10 minutes. Add the jam, then push the mixture
through a sieve and leave to cool.
• Beat the mixture into the mayonnaise. Fold in the cream, then season
with salt and pepper. Stir in the chicken pieces until evenly coated. Chill
until ready to serve, garnished with a little watercress.