450g/1lb self-raising flour, plus
extra for dusting
pinch of salt
225g/8oz butter, plus extra
3 tablespoons cold water
1 egg, lightly beaten
For the filling
75g/3oz leek, diced
75g/3oz onion, finely chopped
75g/3oz carrot, diced
225g/8oz potato, peeled
350g/12oz cod fillets, cut into
4 teaspoons white wine vinegar
25g/1oz Cheddar cheese, grated
1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
salt and freshly ground
• Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
• To make the pastry, sift the flour and salt together into a large bowl. Add
the butter, and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles
coarse breadcrumbs. Add just enough of the cold water to form a
dough. Knead briefly until smooth. Wrap in cling film and leave to chill
in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
• To make the filling, melt half the butter in a large frying pan over a low
heat. Add the leek, onion and carrot, and cook gently for 7–8 minutes
until the vegetables are softened. Remove from the heat and leave to
• Put the vegetable mixture into a bowl, and add the potato, cod, vinegar,
remaining butter, cheese and tarragon. Season with salt and pepper.
• Remove the pastry from the refrigerator, and roll out thinly. Using a
pastry cutter, press out four 19cm/71⁄2in discs. Divide the filling between
• Moisten the edges of the pastry, and fold over to form a half-moon.
Pinch and crimp the edges to seal. Put the pasties on a lightly greased
baking tray. Brush generously with the beaten egg.
• Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven, and brush
again with the egg glaze. Return to the oven for a further 20 minutes
until the pastry is golden. Serve warm.