1/2 c butter-flavored shortening
1 c powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1/4 t salt
2 T egg,Beaten
1/2 t baking soda
2 T buttermilk
1 1/2 c all-purpose flour,(plus an
-- cup reserved for
1/8 t baking powder
1. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the shortening, sugar,
vanilla, and salt with an electric mixer
2. Add the egg and beat mixture until it's fluffy. Add the baking soda and mix for
about 20 seconds, then add the buttermilk and mix for an additional 30 seconds.
3. In another bowl, combine the flour and baking powder.
4. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix well with an electric mixer
until flour is incorporated.
5. Roll the dough into a ball, cover it with plastic wrap and then chill it for 1 hour.
6. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
7. Roll dough out on a well-floured surface to 1/8-inch thick and punch out
cookies with a 1 1/2 to 2-inch cutter (a medium-size spice bottle lid works
well). Arrange cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 60 cookies.