50g/2oz raw peanuts
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
2.5cm/1in piece of fresh root
ginger, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
700g/11/2lb skinless chicken thigh
100g/4oz creamed coconut,
1 tablespoon chilli sauce
2 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
1 teaspoon soft dark brown sugar
150ml/5fl oz milk
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
• Shell the peanuts and remove the skins by rubbing them between the
palms of your hands. Put them in a small bowl, add just enough water to
cover and soak for 1 minute. Drain the nuts and cut into slivers.
• Heat the wok and add 1 teaspoon of the oil. When the oil is hot, stir-fry
the peanuts for 1 minute until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted
spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
• Add the remaining oil to the hot wok. When the oil is hot, add the
onion, ginger and garlic, and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes until softened but
not browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
• Add the chicken pieces to the wok and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes until crisp
and golden on all sides. Thread onto bamboo skewers and keep warm.
• Add the creamed coconut to the hot wok in small pieces, and stir-fry until
melted. Add the chilli sauce, peanut butter and ginger mixture, and
simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the sugar, milk and salt, and simmer for a
further 3 minutes.
• Serve the skewered chicken hot with a dish of the hot sauce sprinkled
with the roasted peanuts and vegetables.