900g/2lb potatoes, sliced
1 red onion, halved and sliced
50g/2oz plain flour
150ml/5fl oz milk
150ml/5fl oz double cream
225g/8oz smoked haddock
225g/8oz cod fillet, cubed
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
100g/4oz broccoli florets
50g/2oz Parmesan cheese,
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to the boil over a medium
heat. Add the potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and reserve.
• Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the
onion, and sweat gently for 3–4 minutes.
• Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Blend in the milk and
cream, and bring to the boil, stirring, until the sauce has thickened.
• Arrange half of the potato slices in the bottom of a shallow ovenproof
dish. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
• Add the fish, red pepper and broccoli to the sauce, and cook over a low
heat for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then spoon the
mixture over the potatoes in the dish.
• Arrange the remaining potato slices in a layer over the fish mixture, then
sprinkle the Parmesan over the top. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes or
until the potatoes are cooked and the topping is golden. Serve hot.