1/4 c butter
3 md white onions,sliced
3 14 -ounce cans beef broth
-(swanson is best)
1 t salt
1/4 t garlic powder
3 T kraft parmesan cheese,Grated
6 to 12 french bread,Slices
6 sl swiss cheese
6 sl mozzarella cheese
6 T parmesan cheese,Shredded
1. Saut onions in melted butter in a large soup pot or saucepan for
15 to 20 minutes or until onions begin to brown and turn transparent.
2. Add beef broth, salt and garlic powder to onions. Bring mixture to a
boil, then reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour. Add the grated
parmesan cheese in the last 10 minutes of cooking the soup.
3. When soup is done, preheat oven to 350 degrees and toast the French
bread slices for about 10 to 12 minutes or until they begin to brown. When
bread is done, set oven to broil.
4. Build each serving of soup by spooning about 1 cup of soup into an
oven-safe bowl. Float a toasted slice or two of bread on top of the
soup, then add a slice of Swiss cheese on top of that. Place a slice of
mozzarella on next and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of shredded parmesan
cheese over the top of the other cheeses.
5. Place the soup bowl on a baking sheet and broil for 5 to 6 minutes
or until the cheese begins to brown.