500g/1lb 2oz ready-prepared
1 egg, beaten, for glazing
For the filling
700g/11⁄2lb mixed mushrooms
100ml/31⁄2fl oz white wine
4 tablespoons double cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chervil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas mark 7.
• Roll out the pastry to a 20cm/8in square on a lightly floured work
surface. Using a sharp knife, mark a square 2cm/1in from the pastry
edge, cutting halfway through the pastry. Score the top in a diagonal
pattern. Knock up the edges with a kitchen knife and put on a baking
tray. Brush the top with beaten egg.
• Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until puffed and golden.
• Cut out the central square. Discard the soft pastry inside the case,
leaving the base intact. Return to the oven, with the central square, for
• Make the filling by melting the butter in a frying pan and sautéeing the
mushrooms, stirring, over a high heat for 3 minutes. Add the wine and
cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes, until the mushrooms have
softened. Stir in the cream and chervil, and season with salt and pepper.
• Pile the filling into the pastry case. Top with the pastry square, and