2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
275g/10oz mushroom caps, wiped
with damp kitchen paper and
200g/7oz raw cashew nuts
200g/7oz Brazil nuts
100g/4oz Cheddar cheese, grated
25g/1oz Parmesan cheese,
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
75g/3oz fresh wholemeal
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Grease a 14 x 21cm/51/2 x 81/2 in loaf tin, and line the bottom with
• Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, and add the onion,
garlic and mushrooms. Sweat until soft, then cool.
• Process the nuts in a blender or food processor until finely chopped.
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
• Combine the cooled mushrooms, chopped nuts, Cheddar, Parmesan,
egg, chives and breadcrumbs in a bowl. Mix well and season with salt
• Press the mixture into the loaf tin, and bake for 45 minutes or until firm.
Remove from the oven and leave in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out
and cut into slices. Serve hot with potatoes.