Special Sauce ==================
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c water
2 T soy sauce
2 T rice vinegar
2 T ketchup
1 T lemon juice
1/8 t sesame oil
hot stuff ======================
1 T chinese hot mustard
2 t water
1 to 3 teaspoons garlic chili-paste
4 to 5 iceberg lettuce,Sliced-cups
Stir Fry Sauce =================
2 T soy sauce
2 T dark brown sugar
1/2 t rice vinegar
1 c fried maifun (rice sticks)
other ingredients ==============
3 T vegetable oil
2 chicken breast fillets
1 c water chestnuts,Minced
2/3 c straw mushrooms,Canned
3 T green onion,Chopped
1 t garlic (1 clove),Minced
1. Make the special sauce (for spooning over your lettuce wraps) by dissolving the 1/4
cup sugar in 1/2 cup water in a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons
rice vinegar, 2 tablespoons ketchup, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/8 teaspoon
sesame oiL Mix well and refrigerate this sauce until you're ready to serve the lettuce
wraps. Combine the 2 teaspoons water with the Chinese hot mustard and set this aside
as well. Eventually you will add your desired measurement of Chinese mustard and
garlic chili sauce to the special sauce mixture to pour over your lettuce wraps. In the
restaurant chain, skilled master
craftsmen prepare the sauce at your table the same way, depending on your
desired heat level. We'll talk more about that later.
2. To prepare the filling for your lettuce wraps, bring 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to
high heat in a wok or large frying pan. Saute the chicken breasts for 4 to 5 minutes per
side or until done. Remove chicken from the pan to cool. Keep the oil in the pan and
keep the pan hot.
3. As the chicken cools be sure your water chestnuts and mushrooms have
been minced to about the size of small peas.
4. Prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing the soy sauce, brown sugar, and
rice vinegar together in a small bowl.
5. When you can handle the chicken, hack it up with a sharp knife so that no piece is
bigger than a dime. With the wok or pan still on high heat, add an additional tablespoon
of vegetable oil. Add the chicken, garlic, water chestnuts and black mushrooms to the
pan. Add the stir fry sauce to the pan and saute the mixture for a couple minutes then
serve it onto into a dish lined with a bed of fried rice noodles (maifun).
6. Serve chicken with a side of lettuce cups. Make these lettuce cups by slicing the top
off of a head of iceberg lettuce right through the middle of the head. Pull your lettuce
cups off of the outside of this slice.
7. Make the special sauce at the table by adding your desired number of mustard and
chili sauce to the special sauce blend: 1 teaspoon mustard and chili sauce for mild, 2
teaspoons each for medium and 3 teaspoons of each for hot. Stir well.
8. Assemble lettuce wraps by spooning filling into a lettuce cup, adding special sauce
over the top, folding the sucker up like a taco, then munching down upon it with reckless