1 c dark brown sugar,Packed
3/4 c granulated sugar
1/2 c shortening
1/4 c molasses
1/2 t vanilla
2 c all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t ginger,Ground
1 t salt
1 t cinnamon,Ground
1/4 t cloves,Ground
red sugar crystals (cake
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. Cream together the sugars, shortening, molasses, eggs, and vanilla
in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
3. In another large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder,
ginger, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
4. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stirring while you add it.
5. Roll a portion of the dough out on a heavily floured surface. Roll
to under 1/4-inch thick. Cut the cookies using a man-shaped cookie cutter,
or any other cookie cutter shape you've got in the bottom drawer.
6. Place cookies on an oiled cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
Bake only one cookie sheet of cookies at a time.