3 tablespoons juniper berries
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
50g/2oz unsalted butter, slightly
8 rashers smoked streaky bacon
For the rösti
450g/1lb potatoes, peeled
1 bunch spring onions,
1 red pepper, seeded and
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
• Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
• Rinse the quails and pat dry with kitchen paper. Put in a roasting tin.
• Crush the juniper berries and black peppercorns together in a bowl, then
mix with the sage leaves and butter to form a paste. Spread evenly over
the quails, then place 2 rashers of bacon over each quail. Roast in the
oven for 25–30 minutes until cooked through.
• To make the rösti, cook the potatoes in salted boiling water for
15 minutes, drain and allow to cool.
• Coarsely grate the potatoes into a large bowl, add the spring onions
and red pepper, and mix well. Divide the mixture into eight, and shape
• Heat the oil in a frying pan, and cook the rösti for 2–4 minutes on each
side until golden brown and crisp. Keep warm.
• To serve, arrange each quail on 2 rösti rounds, and spoon any juices
over. Serve immediately.