menu for yor
2 large aubergines,
4 courgettes, coarsely chopped
150ml/5fl oz olive oil
2 onions, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 large red pepper, seeded and
2 large yellow peppers, seeded and
sprig of fresh rosemary
sprig of fresh thyme
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
3 plum tomatoes, chopped
8 fresh basil leaves, torn
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Sprinkle the aubergines and courgettes with salt, then place them in a
colander with a plate and a weight on top to extract the bitter juices and
excess water. Leave to stand for about 30 minutes.
• Heat the oil in a large heavy pan. Add the onions, sweat gently for
6–7 minutes until just softened, then add the garlic and sweat for
another 2 minutes.
• Rinse the aubergines and courgettes, and pat dry with kitchen paper.
Add to the pan with the peppers, increase the heat and sauté until the
peppers are just turning brown. Add the herbs and coriander seeds, then
cover the pan and cook gently for about 40 minutes.
• Add the tomatoes and season well with salt and pepper. Cook gently for
10 minutes until the vegetables are soft but not too mushy.
• Remove the herb sprigs. Stir in the basil leaves, and check the
seasoning. Serve hot.