50g/2oz plain flour
1 teaspoon mustard powder
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
450g/1lb mixed mushrooms, sliced
150ml/5fl oz white wine
400g/14oz canned chopped
450g/1lb mixed skinless white fish
225g/8oz scallops, trimmed
4–6 sheets fresh lasagne
225g/8oz mozzarella cheese,
salt and freshly ground
• Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
• Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the flour and
mustard powder, and stir until smooth. Cook gently for 2 minutes
• Gradually add the milk, whisking until smooth. Bring to the boil and
simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and reserve. Cover the
surface of the sauce with cling film to prevent a skin forming.
• Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion, garlic
and thyme, and sweat for 5 minutes until softened. Add the mushrooms
and cook for a further 5 minutes until softened. Stir in the wine, and boil
rapidly until nearly evaporated. Stir in the tomatoes. Bring to the boil,
reduce the heat slightly and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Season
with salt and pepper.
• Lightly oil a lasagne dish. Spoon half of the tomato sauce over the
bottom of the dish, and top with half of the fish and scallops. Layer half
of the lasagne over this, and cover with half of the white sauce. Dot with
half of the mozzarella. Repeat the layers, finishing with the mozzarella.
• Bake in the oven for 30–40 minutes until bubbling, golden and cooked
through. Remove from the oven and leave to stand for 10 minutes before