12 sole fillets
250ml/9fl oz fish stock, made from
50ml/2fl oz white wine
1 shallot, finely sliced
1 bay leaf
6 black peppercorns
3 teaspoons flour
125ml/4fl oz milk
50ml/2fl oz single cream
125g/41⁄2oz seedless white
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
• Roll the fillets into coils with the skin on the inside. Secure with
toothpicksm and put in a well-greased ovenproof dish.
• Combine the stock, wine, shallot, bay leaf and peppercorns in a jug,
and pour over the fish. Cover with greased foil and bake for 15 minutes
or until the fish flakes when tested with a fork. Carefully lift the fish out
of the liquid with a slotted spoon, put in another dish, cover and
• Pour the cooking liquid into a saucepan, and boil for about 2 minutes
until reduced by half, then strain.
• In a clean pan, melt the butter, add the flour and stir for 1 minute, or
until pale and foaming. Remove from the heat and gradually stir in the
milk, cream and strained cooking liquid. Return to the heat, and stir until
the mixture boils and thickens.
• Add the grapes, then stir until heated through. Serve immediately, with
the sauce poured over the fish.