20 black mussels
200g/7oz medium raw prawns,
peeled and deveined
50ml/2fl oz white wine
50ml/2fl oz fish stock
1 garlic clove, crushed
100g/4oz calamari rings
100g/4oz skinless cod fillets,
200g/7oz canned clams, drained
For the marinara sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
400g/14oz canned peeled
plum tomatoes, crushed
125ml/4fl oz white wine
1 teaspoon sugar
• To make the marinara sauce, heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onion
and carrot, and stir over a medium heat for 10 minutes or until the
vegetables are lightly browned.
• Add the garlic, tomatoes, white wine and sugar. Bring to the boil,
reduce the heat and gently simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Scrub the mussels with a stiff brush and pull out all the hairy beards.
Discard any damaged mussels or open ones that do not close when
tapped on the work surface. Rinse well.
• Heat the wine together with the stock and garlic in a large pan. Add the
mussels. Cover the pan and shake it over a high heat for 4–5 minutes.
After 3 minutes, start removing any opened mussels and set them aside.
After 5 minutes, discard any unopened mussels and reserve the liquid.
• Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of salted boiling water until al dente.
Drain and keep warm.
• Melt the butter in a frying pan, add the calamari rings, fish and prawns
in batches, and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until just cooked through. Remove
from the heat, and add the reserved cooking liquid, mussels, calamari,
fish, prawns and clams to the marinara sauce. Stir gently until heated
through. Gently combine the sauce with the pasta, and serve at once.