Spinach & mushroom bhaji
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2.5cm/1in piece of fresh root
ginger, roughly chopped
50ml/2fl oz vegetable oil
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
11⁄2 teaspoons chilli powder
450g/1lb button mushrooms,
400g/14oz canned chopped
900g/2lb fresh spinach,
4 tablespoons desiccated or
shredded coconut, to garnish
salt and freshly ground
• Put the mustard, coriander and cumin seeds in a large heavy flameproof
casserole dish, and dry-roast over a medium heat for 2–3 minutes until
aromatic, stirring all the time. Remove from the dish and, using a mortar
and pestle, crush into a paste with the garlic and ginger.
• Heat the oil in the casserole dish, add the onions and sauté gently,
stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes until soft and golden. Add the
spice paste, turmeric and chilli powder, and sauté gently, stirring all the
time, for 5 minutes.
• Add the mushrooms and stir to coat well with the spiced mixture, then
add the tomatoes and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Simmer for
10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Add the spinach and stir well, then season with salt and pepper. Reduce
the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently to blend
in the spinach.
• Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary, then turn the mixture into a
warmed serving dish. Sprinkle with the coconut, and serve immediately.
View over 5,000 menus at http://www.menu-for-you.com