menu for you
25g/1oz dried Chinese mushrooms
450g/1lb firm tofu
vegetable oil for deep-frying
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2.5cm/1in piece of fresh root
100g/4oz fresh peas
• Put the Chinese mushrooms in a large bowl. Pour in enough boiling
water to cover, and leave to stand for about 10 minutes.
• Meanwhile, cut the tofu into bite-size cubes using a sharp knife. Put the
cornflour in a large bowl. Add the tofu and toss in the cornflour until
• Heat enough oil for deep-frying in a large preheated wok. Add the
cubes of tofu. Cooking in batches, deep-fry for 2–3 minutes until golden
and crispy. Remove the tofu with a slotted spoon. Drain on kitchen paper.
• Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of oil from the wok. Add the garlic, ginger
and Chinese mushrooms, and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes.
• Return the cooked tofu to the wok, and add the peas. Heat through for
1 minute and serve hot.