50ml/2fl oz vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
250ml/9oz tomato purée
150ml/5fl oz red wine
225g/8oz cooked canned clams,
with their juice
450g/1lb dried white breadcrumbs
11⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon freshly grated
1 tablespoon chopped fresh
3 or 4 medium or large lobsters,
halved, intestines removed
• Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
• Heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic in a frying pan over a
medium heat for about 5 minutes until they are translucent. Add the
tomato purée and cook for 3 minutes, then add the wine and the clams
and their juice. Cook for 5 minutes.
• In a large mixing bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, oregano, garlic
salt, Parmesan and parsley. Make a well in the middle, and pour in the
sauce. Stir and mix into a very soft dough. Cover and set aside.
• Put each lobster on a chopping board, and stuff carefully with the
prepared mixture, making sure that the holes are well filled. Push the
halves together to encase the stuffing. Repeat the exercise with the
remaining lobsters and stuffing.
• Lightly grease a baking tray, and place the lobsters on it. Bake in the
oven for 45–60 minutes, checking halfway through. Serve hot with a
crisp green salad.