3 tablespoons vegetable oil
21⁄2 tablespoons tamari
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
550g/1lb 4oz firm tofu, cubed
1 onion, chopped
500g/1lb 2oz cabbage, shredded
For the sauce
2 tablespoons tomato purée
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon dried dill
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
• Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5.
• In a baking dish, combine 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil with the
tamari, Worcestershire sauce and allspice to make a marinade. Add the
tofu and cook in the oven for about 35 minutes, turning the cubes two or
three times during the cooking.
• Sweat the onion in the remaining oil until translucent. Add the cabbage
and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Toss the cabbage mixture
in the baked tofu.
• Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Add 50ml/2fl oz water, and
pour the sauce over the cabbage, onion and tofu. Stir to coat the
ingredients evenly. Remove from the heat.
• Cover and return the dish to the oven for 30 minutes. Serve hot over rice
or mashed potatoes.