2 tablespoons olive oil
800g/1lb 12oz leeks, trimmed and
cut into 1cm/1⁄2in slices
150ml/5fl oz dry sherry
200ml/7fl oz chicken stock
400ml/14fl oz cr?me fra?che
2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon chopped fresh
700g/11⁄2lb skinless chicken breast
fillets, cut into 1cm/1⁄2in strips
100g/4oz Gruy?re cheese, finely
salt and freshly ground
For the topping
200g/7oz ciabatta breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons olive oil
75g/3oz Parma ham, roughly torn
2 tablespoons chopped fresh
• Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, add the leeks and cook over
a gentle heat for 15–20 minutes until softened. Remove with a slotted
spoon and put to one side. Add the sherry and stock, bring to the boil
and bubble until reduced by about a quarter. Allow to cool.
• Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5.
• In a bowl, mix the crème fraîche, flour, mustard, sage and parsley
together with some salt and pepper,. Mix in the reduced stock and leeks.
• Put the chicken into a 2.3 litre/4pt ovenproof dish, and pour the sauce
mixture over. Sprinkle the cheese on top.
• To make the topping, put the breadcrumbs in a bowl with the oil, ham
and parsley. Toss together and sprinkle over the chicken.
• Cook the chicken in the oven for 50–60 minutes or until bubbling at the
sides. Serve hot