3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
2.5cm/1in piece of fresh root
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 onions, finely sliced
10 curry leaves
1 fresh green chilli, slit lengthways
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
pinch of salt
500g/1lb 2oz skinless chicken
breast fillets, cubed
1 teaspoon garam masala
1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
• Using a mortar and pestle, pound the garlic and ginger to a fine paste.
• Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions, curry leaves and
green chilli and cook over a medium heat until the onions are brown.
• Add the garlic-ginger paste and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the coriander, turmeric and salt. Mix well and cook for a further
• Add the chicken to the frying pan, stir through, then add 225ml/8fl oz
water and the garam masala. Mix well, cover and cook over a low heat
for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
• Stir the ground pepper into the mixture, then remove the pan from the
heat and serve.