For the pastry
175g/6oz plain flour
pinch of salt
100g/4oz butter, cut into pieces
100g/4oz Cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg yolk, beaten
a little egg white, to seal
For the filling
350g/12oz courgettes, cut into
150ml/5fl oz double cream
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
finely grated zest of 1 lime
a little egg white
salt and freshly ground
• Make the pastry by sifting the flour into a bowl with a pinch of salt. Add
the butter in pieces and rub in thoroughly with fingertips until the mixture
resembles fine breadcrumbs.
• Stir in the cheese, then the egg yolk. Gather the mixture together with
your fingers to make a smooth ball of dough. Wrap the dough in cling
film and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
• To make the filling, plunge the courgette pieces into salted boiling water,
bring back to the boil, then simmer for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
• Put the eggs in a jug, and beat lightly together with the cream. Stir in the
basil and lime zest, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
• Roll out the chilled dough on a floured work surface, and use to line a
loose-bottomed 23cm/9in flan tin. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
• Prick the base of the dough with a fork, then line with foil. Stand the tin
on a preheated baking sheet, and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
• Remove the foil and brush the inside of the pastry case with the egg
white to seal. Return to the oven for 5 minutes.
• Stand the courgette chunks upright in the pastry case, then slowly pour
in the egg and cream mixture. Return to the oven for 20 minutes until set
and golden. Serve hot or cold.