1.2 litres/2pt vegetable stock
450g/1lb quick-cooking couscous
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon garam marsala
225g/8oz cherry tomatoes,
1 courgette, finely chopped
150g/5oz canned sweetcorn
8 large fresh basil leaves, plus
50g/2oz fresh basil, chopped
150g/5oz sun-dried peppers in oil
For the dressing
75ml/3fl oz freshly squezed
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed
3 tablespoons chopped fresh
1 teaspoon honey
1 teaspoon ground cumin
• Bring the stock to the boil in a saucepan. Put the couscous and butter in
a large bowl, cover with the hot stock and set aside for 10 minutes.
• Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large frying pan, and sweat the garlic
and onion over a low heat for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft. Add
the spices and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Remove from the pan.
• Add the remaining oil to the pan and sauté the tomatoes, courgette and
corn over a high heat in batches until soft.
• Line a 3 litre/5pt loaf tin with cling film, allowing it to overhang the
sides. Arrange the basil leaves along the bottom of the tin. Drain the
peppers, reserving 2 tablespoons oil, then roughly chop. Add the garlic
and onion mixture, sautéed vegetables, pepper and chopped basil to the
couscous and mix together. Press the mixture into the tin, and fold the
cling film over to cover. Weigh down and refrigerate overnight.
• To make the dressing, put all the ingredients in a screwtop glass jar, and
shake well to combine.
• Turn out the loaf and serve with the dressing and potatoes.