50g/2oz butter, softened
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon sugar
4 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
300ml/10fl oz double cream
50g/2oz dried breadcrumbs
25g/1oz Parmesan cheese,
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
• Put the tomatoes in a bowl of just-boiled water, and leave for
30 seconds. Peel off the skin and thinly slice the flesh.
• Brush the inside of an ovenproof dish liberally with some of the butter.
• Arrange a layer of tomato slices in the bottom of the dish, then sprinkle
with a little of the garlic, sugar and basil. Season with salt and pepper.
Pour over a thin layer of cream. Repeat these layers until all the
ingredients have been used.
• Mix the breadcrumbs and Parmesan together, then sprinkle over the top
of the tomatoes and cream. Dot with the remaining butter.
• Bake in the oven for 20–30 minutes until the topping is golden brown.