1 red pepper, seeded
1 yellow pepper, seeded
1 aubergine, chopped
1 large courgette, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
225g/8oz short pasta such elbow
200ml/7fl oz vegetable stock
salt and freshly ground
For the tomato sauce
30g/1oz sun-dried tomatoes,
400g/14oz canned chopped
1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
500g/1lb 2oz ripe plum tomatoes,
seeded and chopped
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
• Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
• For the tomato sauce, put the sun-dried tomatoes in a saucepan with the
canned tomatoes and sugar. Bring to a simmer, and continue to simmer
for 5 minutes. Add the diced plum tomatoes and cook gently for
10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir
in the balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
• Put the peppers, aubergine and courgette chunks in a large non-stick
roasting tin, and mix in the garlic, dried herbs and oil. Season with salt
and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30–40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until al dente. Drain well. In a
separate pan, heat the tomato sauce with the stock.
• Put the vegetables and pasta in a large baking dish, and mix well. Pour
the tomato sauce over them and mix through, then put the mozzarella
cubes on top. Bake in the oven for 15–20 minutes until melted and
golden. Leave to stand for 5–10 minutes before serving.