Spinach & ricotta pie
25g/1oz pine nuts
100g/4oz ricotta cheese
2 large eggs, beaten
50g/2oz ground almonds
40g/11/2oz Parmesan cheese,
1 small egg, beaten, to glaze
• Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas mark 7.
• Rinse the spinach, put in a large pan and cook with just the water
clinging to the leaves for 4–5 minutes until wilted. Transfer to a colander
and drain thoroughly. When the spinach is cool enough to handle,
gently squeeze out the excess liquid.
• Put the pine nuts on a baking tray, and lightly toast under a medium grill
for 2–3 minutes until golden brown – be careful not to scorch them.
• Put the ricotta, spinach and eggs in a bowl, and mix together. Add the
pine nuts, beat well, then stir in the ground almonds and Parmesan.
• Roll out the puff pastry into two squares, each about 20cm/8in wide.
Trim the edges, reserving the pastry trimmings.
• Put one of the pastry squares on a baking tray. Spoon over the spinach
mixture to within 1cm/1⁄2in of the edge of the pastry. Brush the edges
with beaten egg, and put the second square over the top.
• Using a round-bladed knife, press the pastry edges together by tapping
along the sealed edge. Use the pastry trimmings to decorate the pie.
• Bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to
190°C/375°F/Gas mark 5, and bake for a further 25–30 minutes.
View over 5,000 menus at http://www.menu-for-you.com