4 duck breasts
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
150ml/5fl oz freshly squeezed
1 tablespoon port
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
1 teaspoon cornflour
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Season the duck breast skin with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a
frying pan over a medium heat, and add the duck breasts, skin side
down. Cover and cook for 3–4 minutes until lightly browned. Turn the
breasts over, reduce the heat slightly and cook, uncovered, for
• Peel the skin and pith from the oranges. Working over a bowl to catch
any juice, slice either side of the membranes to release the orange
segments, then set aside with the juice.
• Remove the duck breasts from the pan with a slotted spoon, drain on
kitchen paper and keep warm in the oven while making the sauce.
• Drain off the fat from the pan. Add the segmented oranges, all but
2 tablespoons of the orange juice, the port and the orange marmalade
to the pan. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat slightly.
• Blend the cornflour with the reserved orange juice, pour into the pan
and stir until slightly thickened. Add the duck breasts, and cook gently
for about 3 minutes. Serve hot with the sauce.