350g/12oz cherry tomatoes
100g/4oz pitted black olives
300ml/10fl oz red wine
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas mark 7.
• Wipe the duck dry, pull out excess fat and prick the thick fatty bits of the
skin using a skewer, particularly the area between legs and breast. Rub
the skin with salt and pepper, and season the inside.
• Put the duck on a rack in a roasting tin, breast side up, and roast on the
lowest shelf of the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the duck over and roast for
a further 30 minutes.
• Reduce the oven temperature to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6, pour out
the fat and roast for a further 15 minutes, breast-side up. Pour out any
remaining fat, add the tomatoes, olives and wine, and roast for a further
• Remove from the oven and allow the duck to rest for about 10 minutes
before carving. Spoon the tomatoes and olives over each serving.