3 onions, thinly sliced
2 skinless monkfish fillets, about
1⁄2 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
2 red peppers
1 large aubergine, cut into
vegetable oil for brushing
375g/13oz block frozen puff pastry,
25g/1oz dried breadcrumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and stir to coat. Cover and
sweat gently over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
Uncover and cook, stirring, for another 15 minutes. Cool, then season
with salt and pepper.
• Preheat the oven to 220°C/ 425°F/Gas mark 7.
• Rub one side of each monkfish fillet with the paprika, and put one fillet
on top of the other.
• Cut the peppers into quarters, remove the seeds and cook, skin side up,
under a hot grill until the skin blackens. Let them cool, then peel off and
discard the skin and dice the flesh.
• Put the aubergine on a baking tray. Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt
and pepper. Grill until golden, then turn and brown the other side.
• Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface until large enough to
enclose the fish. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs lengthways along the centre
of the pastry, and put the fish on top of the breadcrumbs. Top with the
onion, then the red pepper, then the aubergine.
• Brush the pastry edges with the egg. Fold the pastry over, pressing firmly
together to seal. Brush with egg, then bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
Slice and serve hot.