2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large onions, sliced into rings
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 large courgettes, cut into sticks
3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
8 sardine fillets
75g/3oz Parmesan cheese,
4 eggs, beaten
150ml/5fl oz milk
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
• Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a frying pan. Add the onions and garlic,
and sauté for 2–3 minutes. Add the courgettes and cook for about
5 minutes until golden. Stir 2 tablespoons of the thyme into the mixture.
• Put half of the onions and half of the courgettes in the bottom of a large
ovenproof dish. Top with the sardine fillets and half of the Parmesan. Put
the remaining onions and courgettes on top, and sprinkle with the
• Mix the eggs and milk together in a bowl, and season with salt and
pepper. Pour the mixture over the vegetables and sardines in the dish.
Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the top.
• Bake in the oven for 20–25 minutes until golden and set. Serve