500g/1lb 2oz cod fillet, skinned
225g/8oz salmon steak
450ml/3⁄4pt skimmed milk
1 bay leaf
900g/2lb potatoes, coarsely
50g/2oz peeled and deveined
25g/1oz plain flour
3 tablespoons white wine
1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill
2 tablespoons rinsed and
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6.
• Put the cod and salmon into a saucepan with 300ml/10fl oz of the milk
and the bay leaf. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, cover
and simmer gently for 10–15 minutes until tender.
• Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water for about 15 minutes until
• Drain the fish, reserving the cooking liquid. Flake the fish, discarding
any bones, and put in a shallow ovenproof dish. Add the prawns.
• Melt half of the margarine in a saucepan, add the flour and cook,
stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in the reserved cooking liquid and
the wine, and bring to the boil. Add the dill, capers and salt and pepper
to taste, and simmer until thickened. Pour over the fish and mix well.
• Drain the potatoes and mash them, adding the remaining margarine and
the remaining milk. Season with salt and pepper.
• Spread the mashed potatoes over the fish, and cook in the oven for
about 25 minutes or until piping hot and browned. Serve immediately.