75g/3oz desiccated coconut
300ml/10fl oz boiling milk
1 onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons sunflower oil
2.5cm/1in piece of of fresh root
2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
350g/12oz basmati rice
1kg/21/4lb raw tiger prawns,
peeled and deveined
For the masala
1⁄2 tablespoon cumin seeds
1⁄2 tablespoon coriander seeds
seeds from 6 green
1⁄2 teaspoon black peppercorns
1 teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
• Make the masala by toasting the cumin, coriander and cardamom
seeds, peppercorns, chilli flakes and turmeric in a dry frying pan over a
low heat for 2–3 minutes until aromatic. Grind to a powder using a
mortar and pestle.
• Put the coconut in a bowl, and pour the milk over it. Leave to steep for
• Sweat the onion in the oil until translucent. Add the masala, stir through
and fry gently for 2–3 minutes. Add the ginger, and strain the coconut
milk into the mixture through a sieve. Simmer for 10–15 minutes, then
add the fish sauce.
• Cook the rice in rapidly boiling water for 8–10 minutes, but do
not overcook. Drain.
• Add the prawns to the sauce, and cook for 5–6 minutes until the prawns
turn pink. Serve hot with the basmati rice.