menu for you
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
2 teaspoons tomato purée
2 teaspoons soft brown sugar
150ml/5fl oz vegetable stock
100g/4oz baby button mushrooms
100g/4oz chestnut mushrooms,
100g/4oz oyster mushrooms, sliced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Put the onion, garlic, coriander seeds, vinegar, soy sauce, sherry, tomato
purée, sugar and stock in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce the
heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes
• Remove the lid from the pan, and simmer for 5 more minutes or until the
liquid has reduced by half.
• Add the button and chestnut mushrooms, and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir
in the oyster mushrooms, and cook for a further 2 minutes. Remove the
mushrooms from the pan with a slotted spoon, transfer to a serving dish
and keep warm.
• Boil the juices in the pan for about 5 minutes until reduced to about
75ml/3fl oz. Season with salt and pepper.
• Allow to cool for 2–3 minutes, then pour over the mushrooms. Serve hot
or well chilled.