1 onion, finely chopped
1 green pepper, seeded and
2 celery sticks, finely sliced
1 carrot, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
450g/1lb canned chopped
250ml/9fl oz tomato purée
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground
450g/1lb halibut steak
12 fresh mussels
375ml/13fl oz dry white wine
250g/9oz raw prawns, peeled
• Put the onion, green pepper, celery, carrot, garlic and olive oil in a
heavy saucepan or casserole dish, and sauté the vegetables on a
medium heat for 15–20 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée,
basil, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
• Increase the heat and bring to a rolling boil for 1–2 minutes, then reduce
the heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes.
• Meanwhile, skin and wash the halibut and cut into bite-size pieces.
Scrub the mussels thoroughly, removing the beards. Discard any that are
damaged or do not close when tapped on the work surface.
• Stir the white wine into the sauce, and remove and discard the bay leaf.
Add the halibut, prawns and scallops, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Arrange the mussels in a layer on top of the fish in the saucepan. Cover
tightly and steam for about 10 minutes or until the shells are fully opened
and the halibut flakes easily. Discard any mussels that do not open in
• Ladle into individual serving bowls and serve immediately.