Salmon in aspic
1.8kg/4lb whole fresh salmon
1 teaspoon aspic jelly crystals
2 tablespoons redcurrant jelly
For the sauce
150ml/5fl oz red wine vinegar
1 onion, sliced
3 bay leaves
12 black peppercorns
• Put the sauce ingredients in a large pan, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Cool and drain through a sieve.
• Put the salmon in a large heavy roasting tin, and pour the sauce over it.
Cover the tin and poach very gently for 20–30 minutes. Leave to cool.
• When completely cold, gently lift the fish out of the roasting tin. Carefully
peel off the skin and scrape off any dark brown flesh.
• Strain the cooking liquid through muslin, pour into a large pan and boil
over a high heat until the liquid has reduced to 300ml/10fl oz. Add the
aspic and redcurrant jelly, and stir to dissolve. Leave to cool and chill
until nearly set.
• Arrange the salmon on a plate, and brush with the liquid aspic. Chill
View over 5,000 menus at http://www.menu-for-you.com