1 c all-purpose flour,Sifted
(plus 1/2 cup &,Divided
-- kneading and rolling)
1 t baking soda
1/4 t baking powder
1/2 c Kraft Macaroni & Cheese
(or 2 packages dry cheese
-- boxes Kraft macaroni &
3 T shortening
1/3 c buttermilk
1/2 t salt,(for tops, optional)
1. Sift together 1 cup flour, baking soda, baking powder and cheese powder in a
2. Cut in the shortening with a fork and knife with a crosswise motion until dough
is broken down into rice-size pieces. Mixture will still be very dry.
3. Stir in buttermilk with a fork until dough becomes very moist and sticky.
4. Sprinkle a couple tablespoons of the reserved flour over the dough and work
it in until it can be handled without sticking, then turn it out onto a floured board,
being sure to keep 1/4 cup of the reserve flour for later. Knead the dough well
for 60 to 90 seconds, and the flour is incorporated. Wrap the dough in plastic
wrap and chill for at least one hour.
5. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a light coating of cooking spray on a
6. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and use the remaining reserve flour
to dust a rolling surface. Roll about one-third of the dough to just under 1/16th of
inch thick. Trim the edges square (a pizza cutter or wheel works great for
this), then transfer the dough to a lightly greased baking sheet. Use the rolling
pin to transfer the dough. Simply pick up one end of the dough onto a rolling pin,
and roll the dough around the rolling pin. Reverse the process onto the baking
sheet to transfer the dough.
7. Use a pizza cutter to cut across and down the dough, creating 1-inch square
pieces. Use the blunt end of a skewer or broken toothpick to poke a hole in the
center of each piece.
8. Sprinkle a very light coating of salt over the top of the crackers (crackers will
already be quite salty) and bake for 8-10 minutes, mix the crackers around (so
those on the edge don't burn) and bake for another 3-5 minutes, or until some
are just barely turning a light brown. Repeat the rolling and baking process with
the remaining dough.
Makes approximately 300 crackers.