900g/2lb large raw prawns, peeled
and deveined (reserve the heads,
shells and tails)
2 onions, chopped
2 celery sticks, chopped
225ml/8fl oz dry white wine
50ml/2fl oz vegetable oil
200g/7oz spicy sausage, chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
400g/14oz canned chopped
1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
400g/14oz long-grain rice
• Put the reserved prawn heads, shells and tails in a pan with half of the
onion, half of the celery, the wine and 1.2 litres/2pt water. Bring to the
boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain.
• Heat the oil in a large heavy pan. Cook the sausage for 5 minutes or
until browned. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon, and set aside.
• Add the rest of the onion, celery and the red pepper to the pan and
cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add the tomato, cayenne,
black pepper and dried herbs, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat
and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
• Return the sausage to the pan, and add the rice and prawn stock. Bring
back to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes
until almost all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
• Add the prawn meat to the pan, and stir through gently. Cover and cook
for another 5 minutes. Serve immediately.