150g/5oz asparagus, cut into
juice of 1⁄2 lemon
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
275g/10oz fresh linguine
175g/6oz smoked salmon
trimmings, cut into strips
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Cook the asparagus in salted boiling water for 2–5 minutes until just
tender. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper,
keeping the water hot in the pan.
• Break the eggs into a round-bottomed bowl, and add the lemon juice.
Set the bowl over a separate pan of hot water, making sure that the
bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Whisk the eggs until
warmed, pale and very frothy. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in
half of the dill, then remove the bowl from the pan and set aside in a
• Top up the asparagus water with boiling water, and bring back to the
boil. Add the linguine, and boil for 7–8 minutes.
• Drain the linguine, reserving the water, then return the linguine to the
pan. Add the asparagus and salmon with 1 ladleful of the cooking water
and the lemon sauce. Toss and add more water if necessary.
• Season with the rest of the dill, and serve immediately.