3 tablespoons groundnut oil
1 tablespoon tamarind pulp, soaked
in 150ml/5fl oz water for
11⁄2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
450g/1lb small squid with tentacles,
For the spice paste
2 large onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon dried shrimp paste
11⁄2 tablespoons sambal oelek
1 tablespoon chopped fresh
• Put the ingredients for the spice paste in a blender or food processor,
and blend to produce a thick paste.
• Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the paste and fry over a medium
heat for 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until the paste is cooked and
• Strain the tamarind pulp through a sieve, discard the pulp and add the
strained tamarind liquid to the pan with the paprika, sugar and salt.
Cook the sambal sauce over a very heat, stirring occasionally, for about
• Cut the squid tubes into 2.5cm/1in thick rings, and add them and the
tentacles to the pan.
• Increase the heat and cook the squid sambal, stirring constantly, for 5–6
minutes or until the squid is cooked and the sauce is thick. Serve hot.