25g/1oz white bread, crusts
2 tablespoons milk
1 garlic clove, crushed
1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seeds
225g/8oz minced turkey
1 egg white
350ml/12fl oz chicken stock
400g/14oz canned chopped
1 tablespoon tomato purée
100g/4oz easy-cook rice
salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Cut the bread into small cubes and put into a mixing bowl. Sprinkle the
milk over them, and leave to soak for 5 minutes.
• Add the garlic, caraway seeds and turkey. Season with salt and pepper,
and mix well.
• Whisk the egg white until stiff, then fold, half at a time, into the turkey
mixture. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
• While the turkey mixture is chilling, put the stock, tomatoes and tomato
purée into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Add the rice, stir and
cook for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer.
• Meanwhile, shape the turkey mixture into 16 small balls. Carefully drop
them into the stock, and simmer for a further 8–10 minutes until both the
turkey balls and rice are cooked. Serve immediately.