menu for you
Yonah Schimmel Low-Fat New York City Knish
6 md russet potatoes
2 1/2 T low-fat butter
3 T fat-free chicken,(or
1/2 t salt,or more to taste
1/8 t ground black pepper,or more
Seasoning blends,chives or
-- flakes,To Taste
6 sheets phyllo dough
1. Peel, halve and boil potatoes until tender, 15-20 minutes. Mash in a large
2. Saute onion in 1 1/2 tablespoons butter until translucent but not brown. Add
to mashed potatoes with broth, salt, pepper and spices. Stir well.
3. Melt remaining tablespoon of butter. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Layer 3 sheets of phyllo dough and cut in half. Repeat with remaining 3
sheets. Spoon 1 cup of potato mixture on each section of phyllo, mold into a
large ball and position off-center at one end of strip of dough. Roll ball along the
length of phyllo, folding dough over bottom of filling and leaving some filling
poking through the top. (Trim and discard excess dough.)
5. Brush melted butter over edges of knish to seal the seams and press down
onto an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with other knishes. Bake 30-40
minutes, until golden brown.
Makes four knishes.