2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 small aubergine, diced
125ml/4fl oz coconut cream
2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
225g/8oz cod fillet, cut
125ml/4fl oz fish stock
2 kaffir lime leaves,
15 fresh Thai basil leaves
For the curry paste
5 fresh green chillies, seeded
2 teaspoons chopped lemon grass
1 large shallot, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon grated fresh
2 fresh coriander roots, chopped
1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 kaffir lime leaf, finely chopped
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• To make the curry paste, put all the ingredients in a blender or food
processor, and purée to a smooth paste, adding a little water if needed.
• Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan or preheated wok over a
medium heat until almost smoking. Add the garlic and fry until golden.
Add the curry paste and stir-fry for a few seconds before adding the
aubergine. Stir-fry for 4–5 minutes until softened.
• Add the coconut cream, bring to the boil and stir until the cream thickens
and curdles slightly. Add the fish sauce and sugar to the frying pan, and
• Add the cod and stock. Simmer for 3–4 minutes, stirring occasionally,
until the fish is just tender. Add the lime leaves and basil, then cook for a
• Transfer to a warmed large serving dish, and serve immediately.