funny menu for you
300g/11oz blanched almonds
300g/11oz caster sugar
5 egg whites
• Preheat the oven to 180°C/
350°F/Gas mark 4.
• Put the almonds in a mortar, and
add 100g/4oz of the sugar little
by little, pounding constantly with
• Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold
in the remaining sugar, and add
• Cut ribbons of greaseproof paper
5cm/2in wide, and put on a
baking tray. Spoon teaspoonfuls of
the mixture on, about 2cm/3⁄4in
apart. Sprinkle with sugar and
bake for 20 minutes.
• Allow to cool slightly, then lift off
the greaseproof paper and cool on
a wire rack. Serve with espresso
coffee at the end of a meal.