funny menu for you
4 eggs, separated
50g/2oz caster sugar
25g/1oz plain flour
150ml/5fl oz double cream
150ml/5fl oz milk
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
225g/8oz icing sugar, plus extra
450g/1lb mixed red berries
• Lightly grease eight 150ml/5fl oz ramekins with butter.
• Combine the egg yolks and caster sugar in a bowl, and beat until pale,
then stir in the flour.
• Bring the cream and milk to the boil in a small saucepan, then pour into
the yolk mixture, stirring. Return the mixture to the pan, and cook over a
gentle heat for 2 minutes, stirring all the time, or until thick and smooth.
Turn into a clean bowl, add the vanilla essence, cover and leave to cool.
• Put the egg whites and icing sugar in a large heatproof bowl over a pan
of simmering water, whisk for 10 minutes until thick, then remove from
the heat and whisk until cool.
• Put 2 tablespoonfuls of the berries in the bottom of each ramekin. Fold
the meringue into the custard, and pile the mixture on top of the berries.
Chill the filled ramekins in the freezer for at least 7 hours.
• Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F/Gas mark 7.
• Remove the ramekins from the freezer, put on a baking tray and dust
thickly with icing sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, and serve immediately.